Sunday, October 19, 2008

Woman Hollering Creek

Wow! What a change of style from the last few books we've read. I suppose style-wise it's comparable to "Y no se lo trago la tierra" just because of the compilation of stories and what not, but clearly some different themes. So far, I'd say I've enjoyed it. Cisnero's style of writing isn't exacly by favourite, but I find her stories so real and believable. I definitely feel like, similar to Rivera, the way the book is written is a reflection on the way she lived her life.

The way the book is split up into sections makes it a bit easier to understand, although throughout the readings I wished I'd been able to link her to each situation, but with most I just made my guesses. Almost as if to say that I didn't know what part she played in some of the stories she was writing. Some of the chapters most probably aren't directly related to her, but likely stories she's heard or read of.

I really like how her Chicana stories are so down to earth and just plain real. Although many shocking, she tells these stories from a very interesting point of view. She hates these men for everything they do to these women, but at the same time one may argue that she fuels some of these characteristics in men. I link her promiscuity directly to her critisisms. We learn a lot about her "rebel chicana" character, and her feelings towards her Mexican heritage, which still isn't quite clear to me, but I'm sure we'll have a full feeling by the end of the novel.

My favourite chapter/story was most probably the one about Tepeyac in D.F. I love the way she described in detail the Basilica de Guadalupe and it's surroundings, from the vendors selling food in the streets to the anxious photographers taking photos of the Virgen. It's so interesting to read about her feelings about how much had changed when she went back to Mexico City, but at the same time how things had remained the same. For instance, the women were still on Calle Cinco de Mayo frying lunch items, they were just different women. I feel like this part of the story gives us a feeling of her love (?) for her homeland, and the connection she still feels towards Mexico.

Overall, a very interesting read that definitely makes a personal connection with the reader.

2 comments:

katiekat said...

Hey Kaan,
interesting blog. It was nice to see the male point of view, and i must say that you brought up an idea that seems quite obvious now, especially when related to real life: that the women in these stories have brought on their critisisms of men with their own promiscuity. so so true! I've always looked at relationships such as these and thought, "If these women (or men) had more respect for themselves, then they'd receive more respect from their partners." But perhaps that brings us back to the immigrant mindset...these women don't have anywhere to draw self-respect from as they don't even feel they have a true identity. hmmm, something to think about.

Valerie said...

I agree about the strength of her description...it's so sincere that you know she must have lived it herself. There's nothing cliche about the way she writes; she combined descriptive languange in an entirely new way to create a unique image and feeling...I think sincerity is the most important element of a novel...or else there is no feeling...and Cisneros has really stamped herself in the pages of the book. I also loved the part about Tepeyac and I thought the timelessness of the description was great.